Tuesday 10 January 2017

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all of you! 
We've had unusually cold and snowy weather in our valley this winter.  For the first time in quiet a few years, we've had snow on the ground for all of our Christmas and New Years events.  As I'm writing this, the sun is shining bright and warm through my sunroom window, but outside there is snow and ice on the ground, and the wind is howling around the corners of the house.  With the below freezing temperatures, combined with the wind chill factor, it's just a little to cold to take the dog for a walk. 
This past Christmas holiday I finally went snowshoeing for the first time.  While the guys were up at the skiing resort, the girls and I decided to try snowshoeing.  After an hour or so of walking the trails behind the lodge we went for lunch, then spent 2 hours snowshoeing around Lightening Lake.  It was absolutely an amazing experience.  It was mostly quiet on the trail, with very few other folks around, so it was only the 3 of us in the snow covered forest.  My son Jeremy had gone snowshoeing with his scout troop a few years ago, and he warned me that even with the -6 C temperature, I was going to get hot, and not to over dress.  I didn't really believe him, but boy, was he ever right.  It wasn't long before, off came the hat, mittens and scarf.  We definitely hope to go snowshoeing again!

 
 


Most people make resolutions at New Year's, but I've found that since I'm no good at keeping them, it's easier to avoid them altogether.  Rather, I made a mental list of things I hope to accomplish.  You see, I have a confession to make.  I'm a bit of a pack rat and hoarder, and add to that the fact that I'm also a procrastinator and you have a house full of way to much stuff!  So my goal for this coming year is to minimalize all this stuff.  There is a saying that a messy space is a sign of a creative mind, but I find that the more clutter there is about, the less I seem to see my way through creating.  So this week I started throwing out things we no longer needed.  I'm learning to stop being sentimental about things, and if I no longer need it, pass it on to goodwill or recycle.  So far I have 2 big bags and a large box of stuff ready to drop off at a goodwill store, not to mention what went into the recycling today.

As for what I'm working on as far as crafting, I've been busy crocheting some waffle stitch blankets.  I was only going to make one, but that one has become a favorite, with everyone wanting to use it, so I'll be making a few more.  It's no surprise really, as the waffle stitch makes for a super soft and warm blanket.  I've also made a few pretty crochet collars.  I have a few things up my sleeve for my next project, and I'll share those with you as I get working on them.  
So for now, stay warm and be careful out there!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment